Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bronte Books

So I got sucked into TCM last night and watched Wuthering Heights (1939) and Jane Eyre (1943) because I recognized almost all the actors from Errol Flynn movies.  :)  But this is the sort of situation where I would be motivated to read a book based on having watched the movie.  I had absolutely no interest in reading either of these books (they seemed all Charles Dickens-y depressing), but now I think I could get into Jane Eyre.  Wuthering Heights is too tragic for me to want to read it and I wasn't real sympathetic to Cathy - she's the one who messed everything up anyway.   

I wiki'd both books, of course, and found out that the Jane Eyre movie skipped a section of the book, but it still ended the same, so I won't be too surprised reading it.  As I was googling stuff, I found an interesting article entitled, "Jane Eyre movie adaptations: Why are there so many and which one is the best?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2011/03/up_in_the_eyre.html

On a literary note, I'm glad I finally know who Heathcliff and Rochester are.  They're alluded to a lot in random places and I never really understood the reference until now!

No comments:

Post a Comment