Friday, May 11, 2012

Winter Garden


Kristin Hannah pulls all my heartstrings!  I'm sitting in the Starbucks with a java chip frappuccino and tears running down my face as I finish this book.  I cried the first time I read a Kristin Hannah book too.  I simply devour them.  It's almost impossible for me to put them down. 

"Winter Garden" is about the relationship between a mother and her two daughters.  It's a tense relationship because the mother seems to be completely emotionally disconnected from her daughters.  It's the father that holds the family together and when he dies of a heart attack, he makes the mother promise to finish the fairy tale story she used to tell her daughters when they were children.  The mother is reticent, but after a series of personal crises in the daughters' lives, they convince her to tell the story. 

This is an amazing story of love, pain, and forgiveness.  It really stresses the impact a mother has on her children's lives and how a person's identity is defined by their parents.  It's also about making the most of every moment and not being afraid to love, even after you've lost everything.  Must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment