Friday, June 15, 2012

Helen of Pasadena


I loved this book!  I didn't really think I would.  It's one of those books that has been sitting on my "to read soon" shelf for months.  I think it was another one of those Borders-is-closing purchases, but it fit nicely into the romance theme of the month and I had a really good time reading it!

I'm actually having a hard time describing the story, though...I've erased what I wrote at least four times!  It's funny, it's got a lot of interesting characters, including the "sidekicks," it's heartwarming, it's not completely "everyone lives happily ever after" (which usually happens in a romance), but still happy...  It's also kind of a novel take on your typical romance because it involves a middle-aged woman who has a thirteen year old son.  The challenge in the book is that Helen's cheating husband dies suddenly, leaving her and her son in financial straits, but to maintain her image in society (think Real Housewives of Orange County), no one's supposed to know about it, but everyone does.  Anyway, Helen's a really strong woman, and I highly recommend this book!

As an aside, I found a cool link to another online book club blog with an author interview from this book...looking forward to the sequel!

http://www.manicmommiesbookclub.com/2010/12/january-2011-selection-helen-of.html


No comments:

Post a Comment