Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Atonement


Books like this are too depressing.  And the movie just made it worse.  For this one, I was interested in the movie first because of the two main actors.  I have a not-so-secret crush on James McAvoy (see earlier blog on Dune) and Keira Knightley is one of my favorites too.  I will admit that I did not watch the entire movie (once the sister does her whole betrayal thing, I stopped).  Interestingly, my brother watched the entire movie (totally not his thing), and told me what happened.  I didn't want to read the book, but I wanted to know how it ended "for real" (I'm bad that way sometimes), so I read the last couple chapters.  Not good.  Writing a book with a happy ending does not count as atonement.  All that does is make you look better.  It doesn't change the reality that you ruined multiple people's lives because you were a vindictive, petty child.  I would not have forgiven the sister either.  I'm kind of Count of Monte Cristo that way, I think.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment