Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Seabiscuit

I read this book twice -- when it was published and then again recently for my book club. I also saw the movie, which is good, but not nearly as impressive as the book. I never thought I would be as interested in horses and horse racing as I was. Hillenbrand's style of writing is a great blend of nonfiction (lots of facts) with literary elements. Her development of the main characters, including Seabiscuit, is amazing; you really get to know the people/horses. The book gave me a respect for horses, jockeys and trainers that I never had. This book is a winner, as was Seabiscuit!

3 comments:

  1. Loved both book and movie. Didn't she do something else recent? A book that's being done as a movie? Unbreakable? Broken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes -- Unbroken. Read that 6 months ago. Very different since main character is runner, WW II air corpsman, and eventually POW in Japanese camp. Learned a great deal about the war in the Pacific and, sadly, the cruelty of the Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did anyone see the Shirley Temple Seabiscuit movie? I read the book and remember liking it better than the movie, but I don't really remember enough of it. I wanted to see the Secretariat movie with Diane Lane too. Penny Chennery Tweedy's story is supposed to be pretty fascinating. I'm a horse fan, though. :)

    ReplyDelete