Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Water For Elephants


I read two other books by Sara Gruen before I read Water for Elephants.  I was originally skeptical of the book because of the circus setting, but it's really not at all about the circus.  She has a knack for writing emotional dramas that pull you in and make you care about the characters, despite or because of their flaws.  It's basically a love story, but I couldn't really decide if it had a happy ending or not - the whole book has sort of a sad feel to it, even though the boy and girl do get together.

Currently #20 on the New York Times "Combined Print and E-Book Fiction" Bestseller list.

1 comment:

  1. I read this for our book club. The facts about circus life were interesting (and our discussions more so; one of the member has a sister who ran away to join the circus). I had mixed feelings about her technique of shifting time periods from the past to the present; I know she used the present to stir up the main character's memories about the circus life, but not sure it was necessary. Also found the ending unbelievable (very Hollywoodish?). Actually I enjoyed the discussions in our club more than the book itself; many members had fond memories of circuses coming to town. Also, hated the cruelty shown to both the workers and the animals -- perhaps Gruen was sending a message?

    ReplyDelete