Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Colour Of Magic






This is a very early novel by Terry Pratchett. I will admit upfront that this is a bit of a stretch since there is only a very old made for TV movie about this (starring Sean Astin and Tim Curry), but I have been a bit busy and so I dug through Billy's books to find something that fit the category. I will also admit that I am only half way through it right now. So with all my excuses out of the way, I must say so far the book is great. I have only read one book by Terry Pratchett before (Good Omens, co-written by Neil Gaiman). I can now see where the odd, ironic humor in Good Omens comes from.




The Colour of Magic is based on the Disc World (apparently there is a series of books that call Disc World home). It is quite a funny book. There is a wonderful relationship between a character Rincewind and Death that often causes me to chuckle out loud. The only thing I am not thrilled with so far is that the book jumps around a lot. The jumping seems to be chronological, so I don't mean flashbacks, but it does get a bit confusing. I will say my confusion could also be a result of only reading 3-4 pages at a time before I fall asleep. Anyway, if you are a fan of fantasy or you like a funny read, so far this seems to be a good choice.


As for the made for TV movie, I saw part of it streamed from NetFlix, no need to add it to your queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment