Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dune


I watched the 1984 version of this film with Kyle MacLachlan and Sting (lol!) before reading the book.  Then I read the book and really had no idea what was going on.  It was too political for my teenage brain.  :)  Then the Sci-Fi made-for-TV version of the first three books came out and  I reread them.  Honestly, because I had a crush on James McAvoy.  :)  They made more sense and Frank Herbert's got a very interesting imagination, but then I read the next three books in the original series and my brain imploded.  I had no idea what was going on and I was mad that 3000 years passed between the third and fourth books. 

2 comments:

  1. Truth is, I thought the movie with Sting, etal, was pretty poor, but you take what you can get. I loved the first two Dune books, but the rest were very poor. An awful lot of that'and then after another 100,000 years....' Most SF fans I know feel pretty much the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the sci-fi mini series? Very much better than the 80s version. But it was the 80s! And Captain Picard was in it! :) I just haven't found anyone who actually understood the whole "Golden Path" thing. I got that it was about human choice and trying to get away from predestiny, but I didn't see how Paul, Leto, or the Bene Gesserit were all trying to influence fate and where the spice came in to it. I even Wikipedia'd it! :)

    ReplyDelete